France suspended all training and joint operations in Afghanistan after the killing of four of its troops by an Afghan soldier on Friday. President Sarkozy has called the attack by the on Afghan troops unacceptable and said he is mulling over an early withdrawal from Afghanistan.
French troops have cordoned off their base and are not allowing any Afghan soldier to approach. Approximately, 3,600 French soldiers are serving in Afghanistan, mainly in Kabul and Kapisa, where the shooting took place. Sarkozy has said he will have to take a difficult decision, but he will have to consider first the security of his people and soldiers.
A total of 82 French soldiers have died in Afghanistan so far.